The card in 10 questions
20 October 2017
10 questions and answers about the European Disability Card.
I have a parking card. Do I still need to apply for an EDC?
- If you are recognized by or receive assistance from one of the five Belgian authorities in charge of the integration policy for persons with disabilities (FPS Sociale Security, AviQ, Phare, VAPH or DSL), you can apply for a card.
- For instance, if a person has a parking card and wants an EDC, they can apply to the Directorate General Persons with disabilities of the Federal Public Service Social Security.
How long does it take before I will receive my card?
- You will receive the card in your mailbox about four weeks after you have submitted your application.
For how long is my European Disability Card valid? What should I do when it is no longer valid?
- The European Disability Card is personal (contains a photograph as well as the person's names, first names and date of birth) and is valid for 5 years.
- At the end of the validity period you must apply for a new card through one of the five authorities where the person is recognized.
What should I do when I lose my card?
- If you lose your card, you can apply for a new one with one of the five authorities where you are recognized.
How do I know if my card will be accepted in a sports club, cinema, …?
- The European Disability Card can be used for cultural, sports and leisure activities (e. g. cinema, theatre, museum or amusement park, etc.).
- It is best to consult the website, advertisements, leaflets etc. of the place you are about to visit, or contact the organizer to find out whether the card is accepted and what benefits are offered to cardholders.
- Service providers participating in the project will be given a label (sticker) to indicate their acceptance of the card.
- The EDC website also contains an indicative, non-exhaustive list of about a hundred partners.
The amusement park I'm visiting is not familiar with the card. What should I do?
- It is best to ask whether the service provider usually grants certain benefits to people with disabilities.
- You can let know that as a provider of cultural, sports or leisure activities he can decide to accept the card and grant benefits to people with disabilities.
- Service providers can register as a partner through the website.
- For more information about the card, service providers can:
Can I use this card to get a discount on train, bus or plane tickets if the transport operator offers a discount?
- The European Disability Card is only valid for cultural, sports and leisure activities.
- In principle, the card offers no benefits in other areas such as transport.
My 3-year-old daughter is recognized as a person with disabilities and lives alternately with her father and her mother. Can she obtain two cards (one that will stay at the father's place, and one at the mother's)?
- The card is personal and only one copy per person is issued.
I live in Paris and I have been recognized as a person with disabilities in France. I often go to Belgium. Can I apply for a card?
- Only persons recognized or assisted by one of the five Belgian authorities in charge of the integration policy for persons with disabilities can apply for the card in Belgium.
I'm going to France or Germany. Can I use the de European Disability Card there as well?
- Eight EU Member States are currently participating in the project for the development of the card: Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Estonia, Finland, Italy, Malta, Slovenia and Romania.
- In the other EU member states, such as France or Germany, the European Disability Card is not (yet) valid.